The Chapel was built in 1847 by the Blanchet Family, industrial paper makers. Its architecture was entrusted to Alfred Berruyer (pupil of Viollet le Duc) who was to become a diocesan architect of Grenoble.
The chapel, desired by the paper maker (and mayor) Victor Blanchet for his workers, was built on land overlooking the Blanchet paper mills, located to the east of the village. In 1846, he called on the architect Berruyer, who had just completed his first religious building in Isère (the church of La Buisse) and will be illustrated just after with the construction of the Basilica of Notre-Dame de La Salette. . The architect exhibits his abilities and his technical prowess there (cantilevered steeple, profusion of sculptures). For ease of installation, it is oriented north-west - south-east. It adopts modest dimensions (12m long by 6 wide) and a simple plan (single nave with three bays extended by a semicircular choir). The neo-Romanesque porch is topped with an imposing openwork steeple, built in corbelled construction. The building is a true testimony of know-how in the use and implementation of materials: white limestone in freestone for the steps, columns of the entrance porch, spire of the steeple and the bases of the buttresses, the tuff for the gutter walls and the apse and molasse for the facade, buttresses, bay frames, cornice and small columns of the steeple. Externally, the rich decoration sculpted with geometric motifs combines oriental and medieval inspiration in a harmonious blend which gives all its originality to this architecture and fully inscribes it in the eclectic trend of the 7th century. The door is surmounted by a tympanum decorated with a Madonna and Child in a mandorla presented and supported by two angels in profile on either side. Covered with a barrel vault, the interior elevations are covered with murals made by the artist Alexandre Debelle, also designer of the stained glass boxes that open the chapel. A student of the painters Gros and David and author of the famous historical painting "The Tile Day of June 1788, XNUMX", Alexandre Debelle was a very important artistic personality in Isère in the XNUMXth century.
The building has obtained the "Patrimoine en Isère" label,
rewarding the heritage quality of a building of departmental interest.
- Groups welcome
- Average duration of the group visit: 30 min
- Groups welcome
Individual visit services
- Unguided individual tours on request
Group visits services
- Unguided group visits on request
- Not wheelchair accessible