Located in the heart of Voiron, the neo-Gothic-style Saint-Bruno church built at the end of the XNUMXth century is an emblematic building of the city. This remarkable heritage is classified by the State as a historical monument.
The Saint-Bruno church is a religious building, located in the heart of Voiron. The Carthusians made an important financial contribution to the construction of this monument, and it is therefore in thanks to the Carthusian order that the church took the name of their founder Saint Bruno.
Work of the Diocesan architect Monsieur Berruyer on the advice of the great architect Viollet le Duc, it opened in 1872 and was consecrated on May 22, 1883.
This church has been classified as historical monuments since January 11, 2007. Outside, on the entrance side, two arrows surmount the first two bays of the aisles. The monumental entrance includes a main portal flanked by two narrower portals. The rose window, imitated from that of Notre-Dame de Paris, surrounded by two glass roofs make up the 2nd level. The third level ends in a triangular pediment. The two identical spiers include two additional levels: the last is decorated with four bell towers and a tuff spire. Each level is separated from the previous one by a gallery.
The height of the arrows (67 meters) is equal to the greatest length of the building; we therefore respected this rule of medieval construction.
The exterior ornamentation uses the usual decorations of Gothic architecture: pinnacles, gargoyles ...
To achieve many decorative elements of the church, used a new technique at the time: molded concrete.
Gray gold (cement), as it is called today, has been widely used in the region. This material, unfortunately sensitive to atmospheric pollution, degrades rapidly: consolidation work had to be carried out.
The Gothic-style stained-glass windows, by the Parisian glass master Laurent Gzell, represent the bible in pictures.
Listed as a historic monument in 1973, the church organ was purchased from the parish of St François de Sales in Lyon in 1883 and consists of 4 keyboards, a pedal board, 41 stops and 200 pipes.
Visitors can also admire its colorful Burgundian-style roof, its white Russian pulpit sculpted by the Goyers brothers, its marble fonts, its altar with Florentine-style bronze bas-reliefs, the paintings of the apse made in 1920 by Girard ...
Free information : Wheelchair access is on the right side of the church. The guided tour is offered by Mr Gautier.
- Groups welcome
- Groups welcome
Individual visit services
- Unguided individual tours permanently
Group visits services
- Guided group tours on request
Reservations for guided group tours.
Equipments and Services
- Free visits
- Guided tours
- Accessible for self-propelled wheelchairs
- Reserved space 330 cm wide <20 m from the site
- Site, building fully accessible