The Saint-Pierre church is one of the oldest buildings in Voiron, built at the foot of a hill which was occupied in Gallo-Roman times.
It is probable that a first private domanial chapel was built at this location during the Carolingian period and subsequently transformed into a parish church. The medieval church, which was accessed by a bell tower-porch, was enlarged in the 1826th century by the addition of five Gothic chapels. The church was extensively altered in 1921, then by other works between 1927 and XNUMX.
In 1965, restoration work gave the interior of the building the sobriety we know today. Note in the choir: the 1821th century stalls, a painting offered by the Dode de la Brunerie in XNUMX, representing a virgin and child from the Spanish school, a descent from the cross, painting on canvas by the Flemish school of XNUMXth century and, in the Saint-Joseph chapel, a XNUMXth century painting on wood, depicting the vow of Louis XIII (representing the four brothers of Wales).
Also worth seeing are the 1803th century pulpit and at the back of the church, two confessionals dating from XNUMX, works by a Voironnais carpenter, Chartrousse.
Additional information : Disabled access from the side of the church, inquire at Maison Saint Pierre.
Individual visit services
- Unguided individual tours on request
Outside of these days and times, please contact the Parish House.