Église Saint-Bruno
Located in the heart of Voiron, the neo-Gothic-style Saint-Bruno church built at the end of the XNUMXth century is an emblematic building of the city. This remarkable heritage is classified by the State as a historical monument.
The Saint-Bruno church is a religious building, located in the heart of Voiron. The Carthusians made an important financial contribution to the construction of this monument, and it is therefore in thanks to the Carthusian order that the church took the name of their founder Saint Bruno.
Designed by the Diocesan architect Monsieur Berruyer on the advice of the great architect Viollet le Duc, it opened its doors in 1872 and was consecrated on May 22, 1883.
This church has been listed as a historical monument since January 11, 2007. On the exterior, near the entrance, two spires surmount the first two bays of the side aisles. The monumental entrance comprises a main portal flanked by two narrower portals. The rose window, modeled after that of Notre-Dame de Paris, surrounded by two stained-glass windows, forms the second level. The third level culminates in a triangular pediment. The two identical spires each have two additional levels: the uppermost is adorned with four pinnacles and a tufa spire. Each level is separated from the one below by a gallery.
The height of the spires (67 meters) is equal to the greatest length of the building; this rule of medieval construction has therefore been respected.
The exterior ornamentation uses the usual decorations of Gothic architecture: pinnacles, gargoyles…
To create many of the church's decorative elements, a technique that was new at the time was used: molded concrete.
Grey gold (cement), as it is known today, was widely used in the region. This material, unfortunately sensitive to air pollution, degrades rapidly: consolidation work had to be carried out.
The Gothic-style stained-glass windows, by Parisian master glassmaker Laurent Gzell, depict scenes from the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the life of the Church. In the right apse, one window recounts the life of St. Bruno, while another (a historical stained-glass window) relates to the construction of the church.
Classified as a historical monument in 1973, the church organ was purchased from the St Francis de Sales parish of Lyon in 1883 and consists of 4 keyboards, a pedalboard, 41 stops and 200 pipes.
Visitors can also admire its colorful Burgundian-style roof, its white Russian pulpit sculpted by the Goyers brothers, its marble holy water fonts, its altar with Florentine-style bronze bas-reliefs, the apse paintings created in 1920 by Girard…
Wheelchair access is on the right side of the church.
The guided tour is offered by Mr. Gautier.
Listed as a Historic Monument in 1973, the St. Bruno organ comprises 2500 pipes, three manuals, and one pedalboard. Organ performances are held every summer (May to September). The program for the "Organ Hours at Saint-Bruno Church" festival, which takes place during the summer, is available at the Tourist Office.
Opening
Open all year from 9:30 a.m. to 17:30 p.m.
Please note: masses on Saturday from 9:00 to 10:00 and on Sunday from 10:30 to 12:00.
Closed from December 25 to January 1.
Prices
Free access.
Services
Services
Home animals
Accessibility
Accessible to people with reduced mobility via the north entrance








