The church is mentioned for the first time in a charter in 1091. As its name suggests, it was located outside the ramparts of the old town and was surrounded by the town cemetery. It was ceded in 1108 to the Benedictines of Saint Chef.
The Benedictines rebuilt it in the middle of the 1497th century, of which only "the bell tower" remains. The rest of the church is Gothic in style. The description of the building made in XNUMX largely corresponds to its current state.
The church of Saint Laurent des Prés de Tullins, a contemporary of Charlemagne, is the only one to have allegories of good and evil on its steeple. This church takes the eponymous "des Prés" from the fact that when it was founded, in the 300th century, it was located in the countryside, surrounded by the town's original cemetery. Presenting a harmonious ensemble of several styles, it retains from the original construction its Romanesque porch-bell tower, altered in the XNUMXth century. In the following century, the bishop Saint Hugues of Grenoble, the one who was to install Saint Bruno in the Grande Chartreuse, gave the church to Benedictine monks from Saint-Chef who rearranged it in a style of transition between Romanesque and Gothic. . For XNUMX years, side chapels were built in the nave. At the end of the XNUMXth century, a magnificent Cistercian choir with a flat bottom was erected to divine glory.
To discover on the route of the historic circuit of Tullins, map available free of charge at the town hall.
Individual visit with explanatory panels on the site. Group visits on request provided by the association for the preservation of the Saint Laurent des Prés church.
Individual visit services
- Unguided individual tours permanently
Group visits services
- Guided group tours on request
- Wheelchair accessible with assistance
- Reserved space 330 cm wide <20 m from the site
- Vertical signage for parking spaces
- Site, building partially accessible
SNCF train station. Bus line 5200, La Bascule stop and Camille Desmoulins school.